Grain fed V Grass fed V Highland Beef
There is a lot of literature published on beef cattle and the benefits for consumers. The facts confirm grass-fed beef is the healthy option and superior to grain-fed beef in many important areas.
BUT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HIGHLAND BEEF ?
The Scottish Agricultural College carried out tests on Pure Highland Beef and they identified some amazing results!
Grass-fed beef has up to four times more beta-carotene than conventional feedlot meat
- Beta-carotene ♥ (an important antioxidant) Beta-carotene is the only carotene that can be converted into Vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A is crucial to your health, playing an important role in vision, bone growth, reproduction, & cell division. Vitamin A also helps maintain skin & mucous membranes that defend against bacteria, viruses & helps regulate the immune system.
Grass fed beef is known to be:-
- Lower in cholesterol ♥ reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Higher in beneficial omega 3 fatty acids ♥ which reduces inflammation, helps prevent heart disease & arthritis.
Grass feed beef also increases levels of:-
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) ♥ CLA is an important polyunsaturated fatty acid that assists in reducing heart disease & diabetes, protects against many types of cancer, helps reduce body fat & enhance muscle tone.
- Vitamin E ♥ Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from the harmful effects of toxins & carcinogens that cause free radical damage to cells in the body. It is a cardiovascular protectant & also protects against cancer.
- Has a healthier ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids ♥ Omega 3 plays a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development.
Only grass fed Beef is recommended by Food Standard Australia, for Beef to be considered a source of omega-3 fatty acids
Grass feed beef also has:-
- Fewer calories ♥
- Less overall fat ♥
Highland Beef is known to be an excellent source of high-quality:-
- Protein ♥ to build new cells, maintain tissues, & synthesize new proteins that make it possible for you to perform basic bodily functions.
- Iron ♥ to make the oxygen-carrying proteins haemoglobin & myoglobin. Haemoglobin is found in red blood cells & myoglobin is found in muscles.
- Zinc ♥ for wound healing, brain function, growth & development. Zinc also plays an important role in our immune system.
- Selenium ♥ for proper growth & functioning, including immune response and thyroid function.
- Phosphorus ♥ for strong healthy bones & teeth, it also helps the body create energy.
- B-complex vitamins ♥ beneficial for anxiety, stress, fatigue, dermatitis, diverticulitis, poor hair condition, tinnitus.
Scottish Agricultural College Results on Highland Beef
The Sunday Times
(28th February, 2010) noted that tests carried out by the Scottish Agricultural College identified the:-
- Cholesterol level in Highland Beef is comparable to chicken. Highland Beef contains
- Higher protein ♥
- Higher Iron levels ♥ than commercially farmed beef
A purebred Highlander's overall
Conclusion to this research:- Highland Beef cannot be beaten in terms of taste, nutrition and health.
- Fat content can be less than a third of that of commercial breeds, & the fat which is present is
- Low in saturated fat & contains more useful
- Omega-3 fatty acids than non-British breeds
Scottish Agricultural College
Red Meat & Nutrition MLA & the Main-Meal
Nutritional value of red meat
Best source of iron and zinc, red meat has the highest iron and zinc content of commonly consumed protein foods. Red meat is one of the best sources of iron and zinc which is well absorbed by the body. It is a source of omega-3 and a good source of B vitamins and protein. Red meat is one of the best sources of 5 essential nutrients. Red meat (beef, veal, lamb and mutton) is an important source of top quality nutrients, iron, zinc, omega-3, B vitamins and protein.
Consumed 3 times a week by most Australians, red meat plays an important role in the Australian diet - it is the largest contributor of readily available iron and zinc and the second largest contributor of omega-3, after fish. Consuming red meat 3 to 4 times a week makes it easy to meet your iron and zinc needs. With less than 4% saturated fat, trimmed red meat has the Heart Foundation's Tick of Approval.
Emerging evidence suggests obesity reduces absorption of iron and a higher prevalence of iron deficiency has been reported in overweight groups. There is limited evidence on the prevalence of zinc deficiency in Australia. However, emerging evidence suggests that zinc and iron deficiency may co-exist.
Meeting iron and zinc needs. Why do I need iron and zinc?
Iron is required for producing energy, optimal brain function and to fight infection. Fatigue is a common symptom of iron deficiency. Other symptoms include lack of ability to concentrate, exercise and frequent infections. Zinc is important for growth, development and fighting infections. Poor growth and diarrhoea are common symptoms of zinc deficiency in infants and poor immunity, in the elderly
How common is iron and zinc deficiency in Australia?
Low iron levels have been reported in:
- Up to a third of young women.
- 20% of women of child bearing age.
- Up to a third of toddlers.
Dietary strategies to prevent iron and zinc deficiency
Studies consistently show red meat prevents iron and zinc deficiencies when requirements are high such as in babies, toddlers, teenage girls and young women. Red meat is recommended 3 to 4 times a week to meet iron requirements; otherwise high iron replacement foods are required.
Ennerdale Highland Beef For Sale
At Ennerdale we really do embody the true paddock to plate philosophy demanded by the modern discerning consumer.
Highland Beef with Texture, Taste & Tenderness
Highland Beef for sale from Scottish Highland Cattle is believed to produce the tastiest & most succulent Beef which attracts a healthy premium when compared to other British Cattle Breeds. Ennerdale Highland Beef comes to you exclusively from a low stress herd of 100% pure pedigree Highland Cattle naturally slow grown in the South West Slopes of NSW. Hormone and Antibiotic free, our cattle thrive in a quiet idyllic setting of green grassy paddocks amongst natural native woodlands.
Highland Cattle are generally accepted to mature into high quality carcasses, with little surface fat and high amounts of fine marbling through the meat. The meat is succulent and tender and this is because Highland Cattle are slow maturing unlike other mainstream “Commercial” breeds. Quality takes time! Ennerdale Highland Cattle are naturally fed on Native Grasses which contain almost double the amount of beneficial Omega 3 fatty acids when compared to grain fed Cattle which contain (on average 80%) less beneficial Omega 6 fatty acids.
Ennerdale Beef is Free from
- Antibiotics ♥
- Hormonal Growth Promotants ♥
- Animal By-products ♥
This is not always the case with commercial cattle. The Highlands shaggy coats and thick hides mean, unlike other cattle breeds, little fat is required to insulate under the skin. The fat is present as marbling ensuring enhanced flavour and moisture during cooking. Additionally Highland Cattle generally provide around a 60% bone out ratio providing additional returns to the farmer.
Ennerdale believe the key to Scottish Highland Beef is quality not quantity and the time taken to produce the beef. Ennerdale Highlands are slowly grown with care in a quiet idyllic stress free setting of natural green grass lands and this provides textured, tender, and tasty beef which is highly marbled and succulent. With all the documentation about Highland Beef and Grass Fed Beef - how could you go past it!
When you next visit your butcher, ask where the beef is from. If he doesn't know...then it is time to change butchers!!
Ennerdale Pedigree Heritage Highland Beef - 'Those Who Taste Know'
Our Pedigree Highland Beef Cattle have a stress free environment which contributes to the tenderness of the beef. Whenever our animals are handled, it is done in a quiet and calm manner to minimise stress. We wander the paddock often so the Cattle approach us rather than run away, as is the case on many farms. At the end of the day, when it is time to leave the farm, the animals are transported with ‘a mate’ and never alone. Cattle are herd animals and they can stress when separated at any time in their lives, male or female. We follow our animals through the process after leaving the farm to assure the meat at the end of the day is of the highest quality. We know we have given these animals the best environment and the quality of their life is reflected in the quality of premium Ennerdale Beef.
One premium butcher with 40 years’ experience, commented on the first Ennerdale Highland carcase he processed as being;
‘the best carcase I have ever seen in my working life!'
It may take a little longer for a Highlander to mature but the quality is presented on the plate - you will never go back to supermarket beef!
The way Beef used to taste!
Benefits of Buying Ennerdale Highland Beef
Grass Fed Certified Pure Pedigree Highland Beef from our paddock to your plate
Comes to you with a verifiable provenance from the farmer producer
Buying direct from the farm is certainly a cost efficient way of buying quality beef
- You know the breed
- You know the history Grass fed and finished, no hormones, no antibiotics
- You know it has been humanely produced. Raised in a stress free environment not confined.
- We can guarantee the butcher doesn't use any preservatives or additives. Such as carbon monoxide.
You can be confident you have the best highland beef possible because all our breeding cattle have registered DNA typed highland genetics, so you are guaranteed to be getting Certified Pure Pedigree Highland Beef with quality and traceability, from the plate back to the producer.
Some of our customers share it with friends or family and one of our customers even drives for five hours to collect their Beef! (And keeps coming back!!)
What to expect
- We personally transport the cattle direct, quickly and quietly for the least amount of stress to our local abattoir.
- The beef is delivered to our registered country butcher where he will hang the meat for 7-10 days. This relaxes the fibres making the beef even more succulent. Vital step supermarkets skip!
- The beef is cut to your requirements. How thick or thin you like your T-Bones!
- Beef is packaged on trays and labelled.
- Options for pets are also available. Your dog will love the Bones!
- As well as your premium cuts like rib eye and fillet steaks the butcher can make corned silverside, roasts, mince and sausages.
- The beef is ready for collection from the butcher shop. Home delivery is also available if within a reasonable distance from farm.
The whole procedure is within the guidelines of the Australian Meat Standards.
We sell our highland beef in quarters, halves or a whole carcase. We can also ship a full carcase to your butcher; prior arrangements will need to be clarified before this option is available.
Meat can be frozen for up to a year, as long as it is well packaged and keep the same constant temperature. We found as a family of four in combination with other proteins, a full beast would last a year.
Once orders are taken, the customer is notified throughout the process,
Quarters weight approx. 50-65 kg before boning out.
Only available in the Canberra and Southern NSW Slopes area.
Please contact Ennerdale if you live in other regions or require more information
Why not come and 'Meet the Beef'
We encourage visits to the farm for customers to see the cattle and their stress free lives. Please contact Ennerdale to arrange an appointment.